Powered by Blogger.

Runzas

If you've ever been to the Midwest or lived in the Midwest, you might be pretty familiar with a runza.  It's typically a ground beef, cabbage and dough concoction.  There is also a  chain of restaurants in Nebraska and surrounding states called Runza.  If you are ever at a Runza restaurant get the onion rings, they are the best!

Anyways, back to making runzas.  I made the cabbage/meat mixture the night before because things were not going well for me.  And by not going well, here's what happened. 

Almost ran out of flour, thankfully realized that I had some downstairs...

Went to get some sugar and completely out!  Thanks heavens for good neighbors. 

Sugar is in the mixing bowl and on to add some yeast....and out of yeast. 

So, I threw in the towel and just made the meat mixture and the dough the next day.


Can I just take a minute to talk about how much I love dough? 

I

love

dough...

The end.



Stretch out the dough into a rectangle and put a heaping pile of the meat mixture on top.


Pinch the middle part together and then bring the sides up to meet the middle. 


Try not to drop any cabbage/meat mixture on the floor, because this dude will snap it up in a hurry.  You can just see the pleading on his face... 

And done!


Enjoy some runzas!  This version is slightly different from the restaurant version.  I keep wanting to add a little cream of chicken soup or something to make it a little less dry and I keep forgetting.  Maybe next time!  These are also really great to make with swiss cheese and mushrooms.

Yeoman  – (January 30, 2011 at 8:21 AM)  

I've seen those here (Wyoming) under some other name. I didn't know the recipe however. Thanks.

agirlonafarm  – (January 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM)  

A bierock is another name I've seen it called. Is that similar to what's in your area?

Steven Romero  – (February 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM)  

Those are looking pretty good right about now...

agirlonafarm  – (February 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM)  

You should make some! They are pretty delicious!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP