Powered by Blogger.

Homemade biscuits and gravy

Oh, how homemade gravy used to be the bane of my existence!  I could never make homemade gravy to save my life.  And for some reason I was determined not to use any cornstarch...to me that felt like cheating.  I wanted to be able to make gravy from flour and from scratch no less.

Well, I figured it out!  All it took was a Thanksgiving edition of Real Simple and Pioneer Woman Cooks.  Which if you haven't heard of Pioneer Woman, you must not be on the Internet very much!  Since last year's Thanksgiving, I have successfully made turkey gravy, chicken gravy and now homemade biscuits and gravy.  Oh boy...was it good...



Hot and steamy...perfect on a cold fall day.

And the best part was that I used our sausage from our boar that we butchered.  Let me tell you something...I am not a fan of sausage.  I've never really enjoyed the taste unless it was smothered with gravy and on biscuits.  But this stuff was delicious.  I don't know if it was the pork, which was voted on the Slow Food Ark of Taste, or the way our local processor spiced it, but man it was good! 
And for being a fatty or lard type of pig, there was hardly any fat on this sausage.  I had to add some butter to the roux, because there wasn't enough fat.  I"m actually excited to try more of this sausage since it was so darn good!

Yeoman  – (October 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM)  

Yum! I love biscuits and gravy!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP