Powered by Blogger.

My dog is officially a chicken killer.

And it is very frustrating.

I should be more exact...a turkey killer.  Somehow he has managed to kill ALL of our remaining Bourbon Red turkeys.  Only one or two chickens actually met their demise. 

He's not getting into the pen with the turkeys....no...he's just waiting for them to fly out!  I'm tired of going out to the chicken coop and finding dead birds in the yard.  Even more so, I'm tired of yelling at my dog and trying to resist the urge to hit him.  I would never beat a dog, but ooooh boy, he pushes me to the limits.

Yesterday, we let him out for ten minutes unsupervised.  I couldn't hear his tags anymore and I just knew what happened.  It's just like when a little kid is being quiet and you know they are getting into mischief.  And sure enough, when Jon and I came walking up there was our last Bourbon Red.  He was still alive, but not for long.  The absolute most frustrating part was that as soon as Max saw us, he put his head down and started slinking to us.  We hadn't even found the bird to yell at him yet.

So, any advice?  If it came down to the chickens or the dog, I would pick the dog hands down.  He was here first and chickens don't make me feel safe at night.  We've heard of tying the dead carcass to the dog and leaving it on them until it rots off.  The problem is that Max absolutely loves anything dead and stinky.  He will roll on an ity bity dead bird, just for the heck of it.  I really don't want to have to go to a shock collar, but he is petrified of our electric fences.  The only other thing Jon and I thought of was to get a guard bird.  Not a guard dog, but a guard bird.  We are on the hunt for the meanest goose or turkey that we can find.  Max is afraid of the cat, so maybe we just need another animal to put him in his place. 

Lisa  – (June 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM)  

Maybe you need electric fence around the turkeys or an invisible fence. Since he's not to keen on electicity maybe that's your only hope.http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/bulletins_read/43596.html

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP