Powered by Blogger.

Farm Update

Sorry we haven't posted much this week. They're having issues with the new equipment they installed for our internet. It's been down half of the week and it's down again as of yesterday afternoon. I still have faith that they will get everything ironed out and we, eventually, will stop having problems. Thank goodness we have a backup internet source, albeit a slower one.

Let's talk about... ACCOUNTING! I know, I know. I'm sure you're jumping up and down with excitement. We cracked open our Quickbooks Pro software this week and started setting it up for our farm. There are a lot of neat things on there but it can be a bit overwhelming. I wish there was a common accounting program that catered more towards farming. But when I searched online most people recommended Quickbooks, along with a book called The Quickbooks Farm Accounting Cookbook. I feel like we're automatically going to get audited by the IRS for buying an Accounting "Cookbook". I hear they don't like folks cookin' the books. Regardless, it should show up today or Monday so we'll see what it has to offer.

The first few months were chaotic enough that we didn't do a very good job keeping track of our expenses, so it will take us some time to get everything sorted out. Luckily, I started using a farm checking account and logged everything in the check register (which I haven't done since high school). After we get the farm sorted out, we need to do the same with our personal expenses. YIPPEE! :p

Before we started in this endeavor, we had decided that the first year would be a trial and error year. Where we would try a bunch of different things and see what worked and what didn't. We are starting to compare and evaluate those "things" but it's not as cut and dry as I had hoped.

--And I'm going to leave it at that for now. I have to get going but let's pick up this discussion again tomorrow morning.

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP