Powered by Blogger.

Hand quilting

One of my favorite things to do during the winter is to sit down with my latest project and watch a movie.  That includes knitting projects, quilting and embroidery...basically anything to keep my hands busy.  I've always loved quilting, it was my first foray into sewing.  For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to learn to hand quilt.

My great grandmother was a very good hand quilter.  I remember as a little girl going to her house and sifting through her baskets of embroidery and quilting projects.  There was just something about fabric and thread that excited me.  She was a prolific quilter for the church and for her family.  I have one of her quilts that she made and its one of my treasures.  I never did get to take quilting lessons from her before she passed away.  That is one of my biggest regrets.  I know she would have enjoyed showing me how to work with the needle and thread.  (Miss you great grandma Clara!)

I've tried at various times to teach myself how to hand quilt and I think I've finally got it.  The Internet is such a great resource for trying to learn something on your own.  That's how I learned to start knitting was with a great pattern from my local yarn shop and the Internet.

I think hand quilting is something of a dying art.  I know lots of older women quilt at churches, but I never see young people.  I've always wanted to learn to hand quilt from these women, but they meet during the day when I have to work.  So, I just keep working on my little lap quilt that I started and finessing my stitches.  Taking the time to do something slowly and with intention is so rewarding.  Can't wait for this quilt to be done!
All printed fabric from Sew Mama Sew

Lisa  – (February 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM)  

Grandma Clara would be so proud of you Jamie. She's probably looking down on you from heaven with a big smile on her face!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP