Powered by Blogger.

Farm Stuff

Well the bathroom is functional again. However, I did find out that the water will back flow from the shower drain to the sink drain.. I had cut the pipe leading to the sink drain so I could extend it but decided to wait until morning to finish it. So I turned on the shower and was talking to Jamie when my ears perked up at the, all too familiar, sound of water falling onto the floor. I ran down stairs to find a giant waterfall coming through the ceiling of the entry way onto the floor! Long story short - we cleaned up the mess, I stayed up late, secured the pipe and took my shower. Other than that, the only other real problem I had was wrestling with that dang pedestal sink and the drain pipe. I've never had a pedestal sink and I was never a big fan. Well now that I have one, I'm even less of a fan. What a pain! We still have to finish putting the bathroom back together but at least it's usable.

I even managed to fix the stove. Apparently, when I converted it from Natural Gas to Liquid Propane, I had put a couple of the burner orifices on the wrong burners so the flame wasn't right. And, of course, I managed to drop those tiny orifices into the stove, while trying to right the wrong, and had to disassemble half of it to get them out. BUT I was able to FINALLY get that fixed tonight!

Next problem on the list: find the short in the electric fence. The cattle got out of my polywire yesterday, so I just left them where they were. I fixed a couple things to ensure the fence wasn't grounded out and I thought it was fine (or good enough for now). But tonight it was completely grounded out (no charge) and I don't have any idea where or how. I only have tomorrow to figure it out before I leave for a couple days to attend the Grassfed Exchange in Norfolk.

In other news... we signed up as producers for the Nebraska Food Coop and it is great! We had seven ducks left from July that we wanted to sell and we sold all seven in less than a week. Six were sold right away. Then all we had to do was label them and take them to a pick up location, at another farm down the road. In fact, I had to go there anyway to pick up my organic feed. Of course, we make more money if we sell them directly ourselves but it sure is nice to have such a great option. It's even more valuable for producers and consumers that are farther away from population centers like Lincoln and Omaha.

Rich  – (September 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM)  

I don't have much experience with polywire and I don't know if it has anything to do with your fencing issues, but I have read that windy conditions or windy areas can cause problems with polywire fencing.

The constant swaying back and forth from the winds is supposed to break some of the fine wires at the posts, insulators, etc. making it harder for the fence to carry a charge (and it is almost impossible to find all the little broken wires). Replacing your old polywire with some new might help fix your fence until you can figure something else out.

Farmer Jon  – (September 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM)  

Hi Rich,
I can definitely see that happening with the polywire. With the swaying, the reeling and unreeling and especially with some of the step-in posts where you have to almost rip the polywire out of the clips on the posts. I'm curious to see how long the polywire and posts will last. So far, so good though.
I did find the short. I had raised the electric fence so the pigs could get under it and one of them had pushed the fence post over and the wire had popped out of the insulator and was touching the post.
The reading on the meter is still below what I want (due to poor grounding, tall grass, and I'm sure a few other things) but I know I still don't like touching it!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP